NEA announces Kim Anglin Anderson as its next Executive Director

I’m so proud to make this announcement!

In our search for NEA’s new executive director, we wanted a leader who shared our values and whose commitment to our mission was equal to our own. The leader had to be an exceptional strategic thinker and have a deep understanding of the strengths and needs of our members and students. In choosing Kim Anderson, we have more than achieved those goals.

I’m so glad Kim is coming back to the NEA family. I’d like to tell you a little more about her and why we think she’s the perfect person to oversee our association’s operations.  Yes, we even made a video:

Kim has an accomplished record of service to NEA’s members and students over her more than 28-year career.

Read her bio here.

Kim sent a strong message about the future of public education in her announcement to the NEA family:

“The pursuit of education equity and excellence has always been my greatest passion and I am committed to building on NEA’s strategic vision through collaborative partnerships with our leaders, staff, affiliates, and our many allies. Together, we’ll strengthen our culture of organizing and our commitment to be an active steward of our civic and democratic norms. We’ll tap into our members’ expertise to drive support for all 3 million members with their professional practice and to elevate our professions.”

“NEA is more than a membership organization,” she said. “NEA has been the greatest champion of public education that America has ever known. And I also believe that NEA, through the passion, knowledge, and organizing of its members, is one of the most critical institutions to the maintenance of our democracy. Together, we will create a future fueled by our members, worthy of our students, and essential to the nation.”

Read the press release here.

(Kim, who will take the helm as of September 1, 2019, will become the first woman and first person of color to serve as the Executive Director of NEA.)

As we welcome Kim, I want to thank our outgoing executive director, John Stocks for his years of dedication and service. We fought the good fight together for many years. Thank you!

17 Responses to “NEA announces Kim Anglin Anderson as its next Executive Director”

1. Ashanti Rankin

Congratulations and I can’t wait to be inspired by her passionate leadership.

2. Phil Apruzzese, formerly CT President

Congratulations to Kim, very proud you were selected. To John Stocks – you lead NEA admirably thank for your deep caring for teachers and the profession.

3. Joanne McCall

Congratulations Kim you are an awesome choice! John…thanks for your service.

4. Don Cameron

Contgatulations to Kim and to NEA.

You have big shoes to follow, but you will set new heights and standards for the organization.
    Onward and upward under your leadership.

5. Charlene Christopher

Welcome Kim,
    So excited that you are coming back to NEA! Best wishes for a successful career with your new position! Education Association of NorfolkVEA, Retired President and member!
    Best,
    Charlene Christopher

6. Boyd Bosma

Congratulations to Kim Anderson. I hope and pray she will lead the NEA and the nation’s teachers to great new heights. I am especially impressed that she is the niece of the great John Doar, whom I greatly admired as we fought for civil rights in the 50s and 60s and who provided an inspiration for our own work with the NEA.

7. john hein

Congratulations Kim. A good choice by the organization.

8. Holly David

I worked with Kim when we were teens. As a teacher, I’m so happy to be represented by someone who I know has wonderful core values for how students and teachers should treat each other. Looking forward to this next chapter.

9. Paul Toner

Congratulations Kim! Good luck leading the NEA.

10. Brenda Brathwaite

Congratulations on your new appointment!

11. Felecia Hampshire

Kim!!!! I’m so elated that you are back!! Congratulations on your new assignment as our Executive Director. You will a great asset to our amazing education community! Welcome home! John, Thank you for your service! May your best days ahead be your worse! Take care!

12. RANDOLPH FRIERSON

Congratulation Kim! Welcome back to NEA! Looking forward to working with you to improve teaching and learning in Equity for our student, parents, and Public School Educators!

13. Jerry Mead

Hoooorahhhh…the battle for our future continues.

14. Karlana Kulseth

Thank you to John for his many years of service. It has been a pleasure watching the NEA take the front seat in public education in every possible manner.

Congratulations to Kim for coming back to our family! We at NEA of Southern Nevada look forward to working with you!

15. Patricia Frazier

John Stocks thank you for your dedication to our association. Blessings to you on your new ventures. Kim Anglin Anderson best wishes and congratulations.

16. Nancy Papas

Congratulations to NEA members on Kim Anderson’s selection as Executive Director and congratulations Kim. You have all the qualities needed to be an exceptional exec. Thank you for agreeing to take on this herculean job and thank you for being such an accomplished advocate for public education.

Thank you John Stocks for your years of service to the NEA and its affiliates. You’ve led NEA through tough times and have well earned a rest but please don’t disappear. Here’s hoping we’ll still get to hear your voice on important issues. Thank yo again for your selfless service.

17. Nancy Porter

Congratulations, Kim, on being chosen for this most prestigious leadership role. I have it on the highest authority that you are the best for the job.
    Thank you for addressing us at the Retired meeting (and I actually got your picture with John)! You have big shoes to fill and I want you to know how proud and happy I’ve been with John’s addresses to RA concerning social justice and peace. Thank you!!
    Nancy(Barb’s Friend) Iowa